Wednesday, 28 November 2018

Eddings tapped to lead Australian cricket

Australian cricket´s embattled governing body named Earl Eddings to lead the organisation out of crisis Wednesday, opting for a safe pair of hands already serving on the board.


Cricket Australia said in a statement that it had bumped Eddings -- a director of a risk-management company -- from deputy and interim chairman to have the role full time.

"I am honoured to serve in this position and am committed to making cricket stronger and a game that we can all be proud of," Eddings said.

Cricket Australia has been buffeted by a series of bad performances by the men´s test side, after a ball tampering scandal saw the captain and vice captain stood down for cheating.

Amid the fallout from the fiasco, former chairman David Peever also quit under intense pressure.

The sport´s top body had been under some pressure to appoint a former Australian player.

But likely replacement ex-captain Mark Taylor recently quit the board, while CA director and ex-fast bowler Michael Kasprowicz was overlooked.

The board instead opted for "a well-regarded member of the team with a solid understanding of our history," said director Jacquie Hey.

"Earl´s involvement over the past decade provides continuity in a time of change," she added.

In March, top players were caught using sandpaper to alter the ball at a Test match in Cape Town.

Then-captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner were banned for 12 months, and batsman Cameron Bancroft for nine months over their roles in the incident.

Coach Darren Lehmann quit soon after and then-chief executive James Sutherland stepped down last month.

A Cricket Australia commissioned report, found an "arrogant" and "controlling" culture within the organisation contributed to players cheating in the pursuit of victory. 

Hockey World Cup kicks off in India today

BHUBANESWAR: The 14th edition of the Hockey World Cup gets under way in Bhubaneswar, India from today.


This year’s mega-event will feature hosts India, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, England, Germany, Ireland, Malaysia, Netherlands, Spain, New Zealand and Pakistan and will continue till December 16.

Group A consists of Argentina, France, Spain and New Zealand whereas Australia, England, Ireland and China are placed in Pool B. Hosts India, Belgium, Canada and South Africa make up Group C. Group D comprises Pakistan, Germany, Netherlands and Malaysia.


The tournament will officially get underway with India playing South Africa and Canada taking on Belgium on the opening day.

Four-time champions Pakistan will begin their World Cup campaign on December 1st against Germany. They have lifted the trophy in 1971, 1978, 1982 and 1994.


The opening ceremony in Bhubaneswar on November 27 saw Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan recreate his Chak De India moment with his 'sattar minute' speech. He was joined by Madhuri Dixit.

Further, Salman Khan has confirmed he will be participating in the second inaugural ceremony in Cuttack today.

A R Rahman, who has composed the theme song of the World Cup, will perform in today's ceremony in Cuttack after mesmerising the crowd on Tuesday.

Race, Trump factors in final US Senate race of 2018, in Mississippi

Voters in Mississippi on Tuesday will decide a US Senate special election runoff marked by racial controversy and capped by a last-minute visit by President Donald Trump to shore up the beleaguered Republican incumbent.



Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith, a white former state lawmaker who was appointed to the seat in April, is still favored over black Democrat Mike Espy in the reliably Republican state, which has not sent a Democrat to the US Senate since 1982.

But she has been engulfed in a political storm since a video surfaced showing her praising a supporter at a Nov. 2 public event by saying: “If he invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row.”

The comment caused an uproar in Mississippi, a deep South state with a history of racism and violence against blacks, including lynchings. Several businesses, including giant retailer Walmart, demanded that she return their donations.

Hyde-Smith was also shown on another video joking about suppressing liberal student votes, and photographs have surfaced of her posing with Confederate artifacts in 2014.

Espy, a former congressman and US agriculture secretary, gained new momentum from the furor in a state where 38 percent of residents are African-American.

“She is still the front-runner, but she is a wounded front-runner. She’s not the sure thing she was a few weeks ago,” said Nathan Shrader, a political science professor at Millsaps College in Jackson, the state’s biggest city.

Hyde-Smith, who initially refused to apologize for the hanging remark, said last week she was sorry “for anyone that was offended” and accused Espy of twisting her words for political gain.

Espy denied the charge and said “we all know what came out of your mouth.” He has said the comment perpetuated negative stereotypes about Mississippi and hurt investment.

Hyde-Smith, 59, has touted her support for Trump and her endorsement by the president, who won Mississippi by 18 percentage points in 2016. Trump held two get-out-the-vote rallies in the state on the eve of the election.

“Got to get out and vote, don’t take any chances,” he told supporters in Tupelo. “Your vote on Tuesday will decide whether we build on our extraordinary achievements or whether we empower the radical Democrats to obstruct our progress.”

The runoff to serve the last two years of former Republican Senator Thad Cochran’s term was necessary because neither Espy nor Hyde-Smith gained more than 50 percent of the vote in a Nov. 6 special election with four candidates. Cochran, 80, resigned earlier this year, citing health concerns.

The last contest of the midterm election cycle, Tuesday’s election will not affect the balance of power in the new Congress that sits in January. Republicans will still hold a Senate majority even if Hyde-Smith loses, while Democrats will take control of the House of Representatives.

A lack of public polling has contributed to uncertainty about the race.

Mississippi Democrats hope to recreate the coalition that propelled Democrat Doug Jones to a Senate victory in neighboring Alabama last year by energizing black voters, particularly women, and winning support from white swing voters.

Espy, 64, has campaigned as a moderate who would work with Trump and Republicans to benefit the state. Shrader said Espy had done a good job of walking the fine line of appealing to Republicans while still generating enthusiasm among Democrats.

“Hyde-Smith is relying on her Republican affiliation and her loyalty to Trump - and that might be enough,” he said.

Sri Lanka's top military official detained over mass murder cover-up

COLOMBO: Sri Lanka´s military chief was remanded by court Wednesday after weeks evading arrest over the alleged cover-up of the abduction and murder of 11 young men during the island´s civil war.


Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne is the highest-ranking military officer ever held by a court over alleged crimes from Sri Lanka´s wartime past, when the armed forces were accused of grave abuses against civilians.

The powerful Chief of the Defence Staff was detained after revelations he attempted to abduct a key witness over the weekend and have a police detective removed from the case.

"I am denying bail because in your position you are able to influence witnesses and disrupt the investigations," Magistrate Ranga Dassanayake told a packed courthouse in Colombo.

Wijegunaratne, who arrived at court flanked by military personnel, has denied protecting the chief suspect in the high-profile murders — a navy intelligence officer — or attempting to cover-up the crimes.

Wijegunaratne, who was chosen by the president, appeared in full military regalia, earning a rebuke from Magistrate Dassanayake who suggested he was trying to intimidate the court.

Earlier, his entourage attacked journalists trying to photograph Wijegunaratne as he arrived at court. A navy officer was later arrested by police for assault.

Three arrest warrants were issued for Wijegunaratne this month but the top military appointee refused to surrender, even travelling to Mexico as an envoy for the president.

Senior military figures have been accused of serious crimes and civilian abuses during Sri Lanka´s decades-long war, but have broadly enjoyed impunity from prosecution.

Grave abuses

Investigators told the court that Wijegunaratne helped the chief accused in the murders — Chandana Prasad Hettiarachchi, a naval intelligence officer.

He was accused of abducting and killing the wealthy men in their late teens and early 20s for ransom in the final days of the war that ended in 2009. Their bodies were never found.

Wijegunaratne, who is not directly tied to the murders, allegedly helped Hettiarachchi travel to Malaysia to evade arrest. The naval officer returned and was detained in August.

Military officials were accused of kidnapping and holding civilians for cash ransom during the war, among other major abuses documented by rights groups.

Several intelligence officers are facing prosecution over the murder of journalists critical of Mahinda Rajapakse, the former president whose tenure was marred by allegations of war crimes and grave rights abuses.

His recent controversial appointment as prime minister by Sri Lanka´s president has plunged the country into crisis, with parliament twice voting against the war-era strongman ruler taking over government.

Rajapakse, who has refused to step aside as Sri Lanka drifts in a power vacuum, and several members of his family, are being investigated for fraud and murder during his 10-year presidency.

But those inquiries were thrown into doubt after his surprise return to the helm of government in an alliance with President Maithripala Sirisena.

Rajapakse led Sri Lanka as government troops crushed the Tamil insurgency in May 2009, ending 37 years of bitter and brutal fighting.

The final days of the offensive were marked by major abuses, according to rights groups. A UN panel has said 40,000 civilians may have been killed in the final stages of the war.

European politicians call for new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine

MOSCOW/KERCH: Several senior European politicians on Tuesday raised the possibility of new sanctions against Russia to punish it for capturing three Ukrainian vessels at sea, an incident the West fears could ignite a wider conflict.


A Russian minister said further sanctions would solve nothing and that the incident should not be used to derail the Minsk accord, which aims to end fighting in eastern Ukraine between Kiev’s forces and pro-Russian separatist rebels.

Russian assets have come under pressure on financial markets amid concerns that possible new sanctions could hurt the economy, though the rouble on Tuesday clawed back some earlier losses as investors bet any sanctions would not be swift.

Russia opened fire on the Ukrainian boats and then seized them and their crews on Sunday near Crimea - which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014. Moscow and Kiev have tried to pin the blame on each other for the incident.

President Vladimir Putin told German Chancellor Angela Merkel by phone on Monday that Moscow was ready to provide more details to bolster its version of events. Moscow says Kiev deliberately provoked it in order to trigger a crisis.

Merkel, who also spoke on Monday with Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko, called for de-escalation and dialogue.

The United States urged European nations on Tuesday to do more to assist Ukraine in its standoff with Russia.

US President Donald Trump told the Washington Post in an interview that he might cancel his scheduled meeting with Putin at the G20 summit in Argentina this week over the maritime clash, adding, “I don’t like that aggression.”

Ukraine has introduced martial law for 30 days in parts of the country it deems most vulnerable to an attack from Russia. It has said its ships did nothing wrong and that it wants the West to impose new sanctions on Moscow.

Some of the 24 Ukrainian sailors held by Russia for straying into Russian waters appeared on Russian state TV on Tuesday admitting to being part of a pre-planned provocation. Kiev denounced what it described as forced confessions.

Indonesia's Lion Air must improve safety culture: crash report

Lion Air must improve its safety culture and better document repair work on its planes, Indonesian authorities said Wednesday, in preliminary findings into last month´s crash that killed all 189 people on board.


The Boeing 737 MAX vanished from radar about 13 minutes after taking off from Jakarta on October 29, slamming into the Java Sea moments after it had asked to return to the capital.

The transport safety agency did not pinpoint a definitive cause of the accident, with a final crash report not likely to be filed until next year.

But its investigators said that Lion Air kept putting the plane back into service despite repeatedly failing to fix a problem with the airspeed indicator in the days leading up to the fatal flight.

The report also suggested the pilots struggled with the plane´s anti-stall system as they radioed in a request to return to Jakarta´s main airport.

The findings will heighten concerns there were problems with key systems in one of the world´s newest and most advanced commercial passenger planes.

Investigators have previously said the doomed aircraft had problems with its airspeed indicator and angle of attack (AOA) sensors, prompting Boeing to issue a special bulletin telling operators what to do when they face the same situation.

An AOA sensor provides data about the angle at which air is passing over the wings and tells pilots how much lift a plane is getting. The information can be critical in preventing an aircraft from stalling.

Dubious record 
The Indonesian National Transportation Safety Committee has retrieved one of the plane´s black boxes — the flight data recorder — but is yet to locate the cockpit voice recorder.

Black box data showed the plane had an airspeed indicator issue on multiple earlier flights, investigators said.

Lion must take steps "to improve the safety culture and to enable the pilot to make (a) proper decision to continue the flight," the safety agency said, adding that the carrier must ensure "all the operation documents are properly filled and documented".

Despite a dubious safety record and an avalanche of complaints over shoddy service, the budget carrier´s parent Lion Air Group, which also operates Batik Air and Wings Air, has captured half the domestic market in less than 20 years of operation to become Southeast Asia´s biggest airline.

Indonesia´s aviation safety record has improved since its airlines, including national carrier Garuda, were subject to years-long bans from US and European airspace for safety violations, although the country has still recorded 40 fatal accidents over the past 15 years.

But Boeing has also come under fire for possible glitches on the 737 MAX -- which entered service just last year.

The APA, a US airline pilots union, said that carriers and pilots had not been informed by Boeing of certain changes in the aircraft control system installed on the new MAX variants of the 737.

"I am really surprised if Boeing has not shared all the flight performance parameters with pilots, unions, and training organisations," University of Leeds aviation expert Stephen Wright told AFP before the report was released.

"I cannot forsee why a manufacturer would not incorporate potential known problems into their mandatory training programs," he said, adding that "a deliberate omission would have serious legal ramifications"

Several relatives of the crash victims have already filed lawsuits against Boeing, including the family of a young doctor who was to have married his high school sweetheart this month.

Lion Air Flight JT610 plunged into the sea less than half an hour after taking off on a routine flight to Pangkal Pinang city.

Authorities have called off the grim task of identifying victims of the crash, with 125 passengers officially recognised after testing on human remains that filled some 200 body bags.

Huge explosion rocks Kabul, casualties feared: officials

KABUL: A massive explosion rocked Kabul late Wednesday amid fears a British security company had been targeted, officials said, with casualties expected in the latest violence to beset the Afghan capital.



The interior ministry and police both said the blast had been a car bomb targeting a compound which houses G4S, a British security company, in east Kabul. There was no immediate confirmation from the company or the British embassy in Kabul, however.

Interior Ministry deputy spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said casualties were "not known".

Kabul police spokesman Basir Mujahid said at least six wounded people had been evacuated from the site, but could not confirm their nationality.

Earlier, sources had said the blast was followed by gunfire. "There was some gunfire at the beginning, but it has stopped," Mujahid said.

There was no immediate claim for the attack. Both the Taliban and the Islamic State group have stepped up their attacks on Kabul, which is one of the deadliest places in the country for civilians.

According to its website, G4S provides security for the UK Foreign Office in Kabul.

The attack came just hours after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced a 12-person team for prospective peace talks with the Taliban, as the UN renewed calls for direct negotiations between Kabul and the militants.

The Afghan government, Western diplomats and United Nations officials have in recent weeks raised hopes of finally reaching a deal to end the Taliban´s 17-year insurgency.

At an international conference on Afghanistan in Geneva, Ghani said his government had "formed a 12-person negotiating team, comprised of both women and men, and led by presidential chief of staff (Abdul Salam) Rahimi".

Rahimi, a former humanitarian worker and ex-deputy Afghan finance minister, is considered one of Ghani´s closest aides.

However Wednesday´s assault also follows a wave of bloody violence across the war-torn country in recent weeks that has killed hundreds of people as militants step up their attacks.

On November 20 at least 55 people were killed when a bomber blew himself up in the middle of a banquet hall in one of the deadliest attacks in Afghanistan this year.

The violence comes as the Taliban intensifies pressure on Afghan security forces, even as the international community ramps up efforts towards talks.

US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has expressed hopes that a peace deal to end the war could be struck before the Afghan presidential election, scheduled for April.

His comments underscore an apparent increasing sense of urgency in the White House and among American diplomats for a peace deal to be done quickly.